Monday, June 16, 2014

Challenges and Growth‏

A very wise seminary teacher once taught me that there must be an opposition in all things. (2 Nephi 2:11) To demostrate this he asked all of the BYU fans in the class to stand up. Immediately there were chants of boos and Utah is better. He then explained, "There must be an opposition in all things." Thanks to the plan of our Heavenly Father we can progress and become more like him in this course of life. We will always have challenges in our lives, but along with the trials and challenges become growth and testimony. This week I have seen the trials and blessings of being a disciple of Christ. At times we are tested and put into places that we don´t know what to do. In these moments we have been blessed with the chance to apply the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

This week we will have transfers and once again I will be opening a new sector here in Los Muermos. My new companion will be Elder Dennis. I have been with Elder Torrez from Bolivia for the past two weeks and he will stay in the house with me with his companion, Elder Holt (Not my son, but other). 

I have realized that here in the mission and in life there are things that are worth defending and others that are not. Before the mission I feel that I was very ignorant with some things and I thought I knew everything. There is a scripture that I love that says,     

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.    
-3 Nephi 13:31-33
I have been sharing this scripture with every person that I can find. If we put our Heavenly Father first, then he will open up many oppourtunities for us. I shared this scripture with a family who are active in the church and they both looked at each other and opened up their hearts to us and told us that they needed to hear that because they were about to make the decision of not paying their tithing. They chose to pay their tithing and their fear of not having money to buy food for their young children disappeared as they received many blessings.    
In life we will have many things that will demand that we give them attention before the things that our Heavenly Father has asked of us. I know that if we put God first in our lives and everything that we do, we. will. be. blessed. I know it. I believe it. and I am doing my absolute best to do it. I want all of you to know that if you make the decision to read the scriptures or to turn off the tv and spend time with your family that you will not only be blessed, but your family will be blessed by your presence and spiritual power.
Elder Alex York

No comments:

Post a Comment