Monday, November 18, 2013

The end of the World. For me. Literally.

Yeah well I am headed to the end of the world. I am being transferred to the farthest south sector in the world. PUNTA ARENAS. I will be down there in the branch AUSTRAL. I am super excited but of course a little nervous because I have to go in airplane. It´s funny because my ticket says that I will be sitting next to a sister Nielson who is here in the mission. Made me do a double look and have to think real hard haha!

My new companion will be the first companion of Elder Holt ha. My current companion. His name is Elder Dower and I am excited to get to know him and to meet him. President called me to give me my transfer, which normally means one of two things. That you are going to be training or be in a leadership position. I have been called to be the District Leader down in Punta Arenas. I am a little nervous but I know that with the help of the Lord and the companionship of the Holy Ghost that I am unstoppable. I am so humbled to have this chance to be able to apply all of the ways to serve others that I have learned in my life and to be able to love and help them in all that I can. 

A very touching moment happened here in Chile...

I had a very touching experience yesterday. We were walking to go and look for our clothes to pack at 8:55. (Sunday nights we are to return at 9:00 to give numbers) We passed by the house of one of the less active members that I have found here and who was the hard drug addict and is coming back to church. I felt the impression to go to his house. In my mind I said exactly this... "We have to walk another 10 minutes to get the clothes so I can send off a suitcase tomorrow and we don´t have time." I took literally 4 steps more and thought, "Alex Robert York, who are you to ignore this feeling." I turned around and kind of shocked my companion and said we must go to that house. We went in and there he was, sitting in his little room that he calls a house, warming soup on a little gas heater and reading a pamphlet on the Plan of Salvation. He said he had a couple questions and earlier that day he asked if I would come by because he wanted to say goodbye in his house and not just in the church. We talked with him and as we talked I had another impression come to my mind. "Elder York, You have been so blessed. Take off the jacket your family sent you and give it to him." I started taking things out of my pockets and my companion looked at me funny because outside it was cold. I gave it to him and just couldn´t help tears from not coming out as I saw him cry. The night before I gave him a white shirt and tie so he could feel more at home at church. As I hugged my new friend I held him tight and told him that I loved him so much and would return to see him one day. If not in this life, the next. 

The mission has changed my life. I feel the Lord´s love in my heart almost to the point that I don´t have enough room. I am trying to do everything that I can to be just like the Savior. 

Yesterday I had to say goodbye also to my recent convert that we baptized. He cried a little and so did I. I hugged my 82 year old new brother and told him I loved him. I know I will see him again. Saying goodbye to all of the members is very hard. But I know that the Lord has a plan for me and needs me in Punta Arenas. I love the hymn "I´ll go where you want me to go" Where it says, "and if by the still small voice he calls, I´ll go where you want me to go."

Just as Nephi said,
[2 Nephi 33:15]
15 For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the judgment bar; for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey. Amen.

I love this work and I love my Savior Jesus Christ with all of my heart. I will serve my best because he is who I represent. 

Elder York





No comments:

Post a Comment