Saturday, July 13, 2013

Elder York... You are off to the island of Chiloè!‏


     Well as the title says, I received a call from President Rappleye today when we were in Osorno chilling at the "Mall" (Just like our walmart.....) and he said I'm off to the island more south. More south, more rain, more cold and the more expensive things are.. So today I am making some last minute purchases on things that I am going to need. It is half way through the month and I am already out of money.. I have learned to live off of what I have and I am doing pretty good ha. Philmont [New Mexico] prepared me to come here!! 

     The reason I am a little broke is because we have more than 5 families who are starving here... One of them has two little boys who were eating juice mix... I bought a giant sack of potatoes that was 20$ and we are going to put them in a bag, divided out and knock and run. It breaks my heart to see the people here who have nothing and here I am with a full house of food. I don´t care if I starve because seeing that makes me so sick. I can´t even walk into our house and just want to cry because I have so much. I literally have nothing and the people here have less than I do. I am trying to give my all to the people. 

     I am loving with all of my heart being a missionary. I love being able to work to bring people to our Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ. My purpose is to invite people to come unto Christ. I have no right to teach people the lessons and leave it at that. My job, The job of every missionary is to teach by the Holy Ghost. If a missionary teaches with the Holy Ghost, the people will feel the desire to bring themselves to Christ. Alma 26:12. That scripture is helping me to strive to always be humble. Whether it is humble from hunger, spiritual, or physical I am striving for it. The Lord has physically humbled me with the past problems with my ankle and knee and now the other two the Lord is helping me with. I love being a missionary.

     A little more about my new sector. I am headed to Chiloè which is an island. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions and has hundreds of "Famous", old churches. I will be in the same branch as the zone leaders and there will be more than six people coming to church. I am excited to help with the Lord´s work here in Chile. The truth is I will go wherever the Lord wants me to go. Here I am and there I will go. I trust the Lord with all of my heart and I have come so close to him in my every day life. I can´t imagine life without having been a missionary. It has changed me.

I love you all so much and am so grateful for all that you do for me. I love you all so much and I can´t wait to see you. When life gets hard for you, remember that there is an Elder In Chile who is giving his all and is praying for you. The Lord will bless you.

The success of a missionary isn´t measured by how many baptisms he had, or what leadership position he had. The true measure of success is who he became. I have seen lives of so many people change here and en verdad, (the truth) I feel as if I am a new man. I love this work with all of my heart and am giving it my absolute all. I love you and pray for you. 

Elder York


No comments:

Post a Comment