Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hola!


Hola family!!
 
     Well I am still surviving and I just got over being sick so that is good. I had a stomach virus that went through the mission. Even the President had this bug so it wasn't just me sick. I couldn't eat very much because of that which made every day harder because I didn't have any energy. I felt so bad when we couldn't go out because I was sick because every day I spend in the house is one day that I don't talk to that one person I am here to teach and find or that one day I could have helped someone.
 
     Today we had a baptism for a new convert. His name is Jorge and he is in Entre Lagos but is in the boundaries of the sister missionaries so they got to teach him. He doesn't speak much but when he does you remember what he says. 

     In Entre Lagos there are 4 missionaries. Elder Vallejo and I and the two sisters. The sisters are from Argentina and Peru. Yes... One lonely gringo in a town of fully Spanish speakers. But the Spanish is coming along so much better now and I am able to understand people much better now and be able to talk to people. I have challenged 5 people to be baptized and they all have said yes. Now we just have to get them to church. We only had about sixteen people at church last week. We got a new branch president last Sunday. It was President Martinez but now it is President Santana. He owns the greatest cheese store and he drives us places when we need to go somewhere.
 
     So it turns out that I get mail every week not just once a month and it takes about a week and a half or more to get letters. I got Dear Elders last week. I have a bunch of letters with me that I can't send yet because we didn't have district meeting on Tuesday because we had zone conference on Thursday. I will send these letters on Tuesday for sure. Zone conference was amazing. Elder Vajellos of the quorum of the 70 spoke to about 70 missionaries (3 zones) and it was great. Also President Rappleye and Hermana Rappleye spoke as well and even though all of it was in Spanish I understood a good amount of it. It was very powerful and I loved it!
 
     My first day here in Chile they took us back to the mission house and fed us completos (Hot dogs with everything) It was interesting and I liked it. They didn't take us to McDonald's. We then had training for about 3 hours and the President took us to a hotel and from 8pm to 8am we slept. We then went to the mission home at 9am and had breakfast. Then we had more training and then we got our companions and were shipped off to where we were serving. The buses here are jam packed every day and I never get to sit down because I always offer my seat and it is a very long 1 hour bus ride here and back. It is hard being 1 hour away from Osorno because there is 2 hours of our p day that are wasted traveling. We can't write letters or read or even talk to people because the roads are very bumpy and we are packed like sardines. But all is well because we still have the rest of our day.
 
     My apartment is very small. I took pictures of it and all of the things in it. Imagine a big man in a tiny house. That's me. I don't fit in any of the doorways in Entre lagos because the people are small. Not as small as in Peru. Our Mamita makes us lunch every day except for Tuesdays and Saturdays when we are in Osorno. I love Tuesdays and Saturdays because I can get a hamburger or pizza here in town. They don't have a McDonald's here in Osorno. The food our mamita makes is very good. I like it a lot and am not complaining. 1. She makes us soup. 2. she gives us salad and bread 3. she gives us the main meal. 4. more food and 5. dessert. Lunch here is our dinner. They eat breakfast, a huge lunch and then snack for dinner. I am definitely not used to that but eating a lot of food is easier now because every morning we have half an hour of exercises and we work it off. Well I do. My companion exercises his mind in his dreams.
 
     Our dueña (Landlord) does our laundry for us. They iron everything here. Even our socks! She has taken the lessons but doesn't want to. Her daughter who lives in a different cabaña (Anita 31) is a member and has a son who is 15. (Jose) He is very funny and tries to speak English with me and we all laugh. Speaking of speaking English tonight at 8 I start teaching English classes for whoever wants to learn! I am so excited and I hope that lots of people show!
 
     The stores here are... Good. They have... Food. They don't have as much as ours do and half of the store is alcohol. The only American cereal they have is Trix with yogurt. I have come to love Trix. The milk here is interesting. I eat my cereal with yogurt and I get fresh fruit from street vendors (like Hawaii) and put it in my food. We get 80 Mil every month. 80.000 pesos is the equivalence of 160.00 American. It is just double the cost is what the cost is in America. 60.000 mil is just for food every month. We don't have to buy much because the church pays for our lunch with our mamita. We email at different stores that have Internet and it is about 500 pesos an hour. 1 dollar. Oh yeah, 1 mil pesos is 2 dollars. We only have 40 minutes of email time so it's only 500 pesos. My p day is on Saturdays if you haven't figured that yet ha.
 
     My branch has a total of maybe 30 members and is not very big. The movie baptists at our barbecue means so much more to me now and I relate, Sadly.. Our chapel is two of those storage containers welded together and it isn't very big. But it is very beautiful and I took pictures of our building.
 
     All in all I am loving it here and the Spanish is coming along just great. I love it here and all of the people so much! Well until next time. I love you all!! Be expecting letters in 2 weeks ha!
 
 
Elder York

No comments:

Post a Comment