Saturday, February 9, 2013

Elder York is in Chile!!


So, Elder York left early in the morning on Monday, February 4th to fly to Chile. He called us from the Salt Lake Airport and he got to talk to Sean and Madeline before they left for school. He called again a few hours later when he got to Los Angeles. He left L.A. around 12:30pm and didn't arrive in Osorno until the next day around noon. Crazy. So I hope they gave them a chance to make up for their lack of sleep! 

I added a clock to the site (right now they are four hours ahead) and also a spot you can subscribe and get notices when his new emails are added.


Well, here it is - his first letter from Chile.....


     Hola!! I am here in Chile and I´m alive!! I arrived around noon here and met my mission President and his wife and the AP's and what not. They all were super nice and caring. It was so different arriving here because we had no clue where to go and I'm sure we looked funny. 8 tall white boys wandering around an airport speaking some kind of language.
    
     My companion is from Ecuador so that means that he is a Native of the language. He speaks very fluent Spanish and does literally all of the talking. I sit there and try to pick out a few different words that I know and write some of the words I don't know in the little blue and green notepad. Spanish is not easy to learn, but Chilean Spanish.... Very different and hard to understand. My companions name is Elder Vallejo and he stands up to about my chin. Oh that reminds me.. All of the doorways here are so, so short. The first day I hit my head twice really hard. I have to duck to go into houses, stores, alleys, anywhere. It is hard to try and proselyte here because no one is ever home. They all are at the lake here in town and as Missionaries we can't even go on the road near the water because of the rules. I am in a small town called Entre Lagos *In between lakes* and it is very hot. 75 degrees the other day and today it has rained all day... I am burnt, wet and frustrated because I don't understand the language but I know that I can do this and I know life will be tough, but I know that I can do hard things.

     I hope all is well with you all. You can email me anytime and I can print off the emails now because we are in a store. In the MTC that is the best way to email. Find a room with a printer, print them off and then read them and then email. Everything here is so foreign to me. The food is different and interesting. We had mashed potatoes the other day at a house and I think I ate 4 plates... I live off of ramen noodles and cup o noodle because the food is so different. I love the people here though.. They are so nice and caring and even though I don't speak a lick of Spanish I can tell that they love me. I know that they feel bad for me and respect me a ton for what I am doing. They shouldn't feel bad because I am having the time of my life! What an experience!! I can't wait to get home and speak Spanish because there I won't be criticized for my bad use of the language ha ha.

     But all in all, I miss you all a ton.. It has definitely been hard to be here. I will admit I do sometimes want to come home but I won't come home until my two years are up. I am trying to not focus on my self and only focus on others but it for sure hasn't been easy. I promise that I will write you all and will sent you all letters on this Tuesday. I don't know how long it will take for them to send but I know that they will get there eventually. I think that I only get mail once a month when I go to the mission home. The address I gave out is the address and is the best way to get mail or packages to me. Only use US postal service. It is free for me to pick up through them but it costs a ton of money for me to pick up a FedEx or a UPS. Thank you so much for your prayers and for all that you all do for me. I am going to continue to keep working and doing my absolute best because that is who I am and that is what I do.

     We walk everywhere here. We don't have a car or bikes. We walk the equivalence of about 15-20 miles a day. The town isn't very big so I know where most of the houses and places are. The hardest part is when no one is home. We are always asking if we can assist them in any way or help them with anything but the people here just aren't that receptive. I don't know why no one wants to talk to us or why no one is really ever home but I wish that more people would be home to hear our message or for us to help them. I am giving all of my time and attention to the work and I am leaving behind all things that don't matter. I think about the work and my family and close friends. I am grateful that I have a companion that speaks the language and that can understand what the people are saying. I can understand the small conversations and all of the words I do know but other than that I have no clue what anyone is saying or doing. We have a cellphone and our district leader is from Utah somewhere and speaks English so whenever I have some big questions I ask him. We wake up at 7 in the morning and go to bed at 11. It is very different from what I am used to, the 6:30 - 10:30 at the MTC.

     I love you all so much and wish more than anything I could be with you. In time I will be home and be with you. Thank you for everything!! I love you all so so much! I wrote a couple letters but I can't send them until we go into town. I think that we go into town on tuesday. The town I am in is so small that it doesn't have a mail office. Stockton is puny and it has a mail office ha. Well I love you all so much. Take care family I love you all so much!
Chow!

-Elder York

No comments:

Post a Comment